Dealing with life — what a challenge it can be! I recently heard about a realistic Sun Laker who uses a mantra that helps her deal with a changing world and a changing self. Since my life is changing, I’m adopting her mantra: “It’s the new normal.”
What might be the new normal?
– When knees are an issue, playing bocce ball rather than tennis
– Taking along a cane just in case
– Sweeten with Stevia in place of sugar
– Vacationing in Prescott rather than taking a cruise
– When balance is an issue, using a golf cart rather than a bike
– When eyesight becomes an issue, reading a good book with large print
Things are changing, and I can accept that.
Still, the power of choice is important to me. I like to be in charge of my health.
– I can put the pedometer in my pocket and gradually increase the number of steps each day.
– I can find beautiful places to stroll and “hike” in Prescott.
– And if I’m taken to the hospital only to be told I’m not drinking enough water, I might, for a minute, think that hospital visits are my new normal. But wait! My new normal is not in the hospital. It’s keeping water by my side to sip on all day long.
Let’s each accept our new normal and stay in charge by making good choices and finding new ways to be fulfilled.
Goalies help each other accept our “normals” and enjoy life. And we remember to laugh!
Weigh-in is Saturday from 7:00 to 7:40 a.m. in Room A-8, near the Cottonwood Library. The meeting starts after weigh-in. Contact Rita at 895-2559 for more information. You are invited to join us.