First and foremost, your bowl of candy should be for trick-or-treaters, not for your pets. While your favorite Halloween pumpkin and decorative corn are relatively nontoxic, if ingested, they can cause gastrointestinal upset. And if the piece eaten is too large, blockage could occur. So keep an eye on your favorite candy bowl and decorations. Here are some things to remember on Goblins Night.
1) Halloween candy can be toxic. Don’t let your pet eat Halloween candy. Chocolate is toxic, and tin foil and cellophane wrappers can be hazardous if swallowed. Some candies contain the artificial sweetener xylitol which can be poisonous to pets even in small amounts. Seal your child’s stash and keep out of reach.
2) Be careful with candles near your pet! Sometimes an excited wagging tail can knock over a candle-lit pumpkin leading to a fire. Consider using flameless candle to light up your jack-o-lantern.
3) Wires and cords could harm your pet. Remember to keep wires and cords from electric lights and other decorations out of reach of your pets. Chewing on cords could cause cuts, burns or possibly life-threatening electrical shock.
4) Doorbells can be scary for your pet. All but the most social pet should be kept away from the front door during peak trick-or-treat hours. All those strangers repeatedly ringing the bell can be very scary and stressful. The costumes don’t help with the stress, and this holiday is right up there with the 4th of July.
5) Dressing your pet for Halloween. If you dress up your pet, make sure the costume isn’t annoying, unsafe or that your pet is not allergic to the materials.
6) Keep your pet’s ID on! Sometimes accidents happen, and while you are frequently opening the door for trick-or-treaters, your puppy or kitty may make a run for it. The proper identification can be a lifesaver. Always, always make sure your pet has proper identification in case they escape out the door.
So, keep these things in mind and have a safe and scary Halloween. If you do suspect your pet has ingested a potentially-dangerous substance, immediately call your vet, ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 or Arizona Veterinary Medical Association at 800-213-6680.
Rover’s Rest Stop will be at the last IronOaks Halloween Pets on Parade on Saturday, October 27 from 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., at Diamond Lake in Oakwood. We have lots and lots of adopted kids in forever homes at Sun Lakes, so stop by to say hello. If you have any questions, please give D with Rovers a call at 480-600-2828. See you at the Halloween Parade!