Holiday Safety for Your Pet

The holiday season is upon us, and many Sun Lakers plan to include their furry companions in the festivities. Please be sure to steer pets clear of the following unhealthy treats, toxic foods, and dangerous decorations.

Christmas Tree: Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it does not tip and fall, causing possible injury to you or your pet. This will also prevent the tree water, which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset, from spilling. Keep wires, batteries, and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach.

Avoid Mistletoe and Holly: Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested.

Tinsel-less Town: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching “toy” that’s easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration, and possible surgery.

Wired Up: Keep wires, batteries, and ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock, and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.

Holiday Food/Medication Dangers:

Cocktails: Adult holiday beverages, if ingested by your pet, could cause weakness and possibly coma and respiratory failure.

Skip the Chocolates and Sweets: It is a good time to remind everyone that dogs, cats, and rabbits should not be fed chocolate in any form (milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, or cocoa). Anything sweetened with xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even a small amount of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure, or even death in dogs.

Leave the Turkey Leftovers: Fatty and spicy foods, as well as cooked bones, should not be fed to your furry friends. The Animal Poison Control Center experts have put together a list of the top toxic people foods to avoid feeding your pet:

Put Meds Away: Make sure all of your medications are locked behind secure doors, and be sure to tell your guests to keep their meds zipped up and packed away.

Their Own Room: Give your pet his own quiet space to retreat to, complete with fresh water and a place to snuggle.

Note: If your pet is showing restlessness and you suspect he may have ingested a potentially dangerous food or chocolate, immediately call your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 (the only poison control center staffed with veterinarians and toxicologists 24 hours a day).

Rover’s Kids wish you a very Merry Christmas and a safe holiday season! Our Dec. 11 Meet & Greet will have Santa and holiday photos! Free! The pictures turn out great, and the Kids have so much fun! Stop by for a visit and a holiday treat. Thank you for loving Rover’s Kids!