In Passing

Errol (Red) Boyles

Errol (Red) Boyles

Errol LaVaughn Boyles (Red), born on Oct. 8, 1941, peacefully passed away on Nov. 5, 2021, at his home in Sun Lakes, Ariz., with his wife Margaret by his side.

Son of Eldon and Myrtle Boyles from Fort Laramie, Wyo., Errol graduated from Nazarene Bible College in Colorado Springs and Casper College in Wyoming. Errol, his wife Janice Farlee, and their three children: Ed, Steve, and Debra, moved to Swaziland, Africa, where he established a school of pharmacy and became the Pastor of the church. After four years, they returned to Mesa, Ariz., where he pastored a church.

In 1985 Margaret met Red, then a single parent and pharmacist for Walgreens. She was immediately struck by his genuinely kind spirit and love for his children, and later her two children Robert and Margaret Ann. Red and Margaret’s bond was instant, and they were married in 1990.

Because of Red’s many interests and all the clubs in Sun Lakes, it was the perfect place to live. In addition to the Billiards Club, he joined the Aero Club where members took him flying, which prompted him to get his pilot’s license. During this time, there were many wonderful adventures, some good and some which needed improvement at “following the guide!”

Unfortunately, throughout the last few years, dementia slowly erased Red’s memory of their life together, and then he was even robbed of his orientation in their home. Yet, at night, when all was quiet, he would thank Margaret for helping him, and they would exchange words of love for each other.

Margaret would appreciate donations being made to the Creative Engagement Partners Memory Café ( Mail to Creative Engagement Partners, c/o NWC, 10450 E. Riggs Road, Suite 113, Sun Lakes, AZ 85248.

A Celebration of Life service will be forthcoming.

Ronald Brown

Ronald Brown

Ronald Brown, 89, of Mesa, Ariz., passed away on Oct. 13, 2021. He was born in Chicago, Ill., on July 7, 1932, and grew up in Des Plaines, Ill. He lived in Sun Lakes for many years and was active in Senior Softball there.

Ron graduated from Maine Township High School. He received his B.A. degree from Cornell College, his Master’s degree from University of Iowa, and his doctorate degree in education from the University of Arizona. He retired from the Chandler Unified School District where he served as principal of Galveston Elementary and later Goodman Elementary School. He was also a junior high school principal for many years in Naperville, Ill. Ron was very active in the Park District in Naperville, Ill., leading the summer recreation program and supervising the Centennial Beach Pool. He was a three-sport star at Cornell College in Iowa and continued his passion for athletics well into his adult life, coaching and playing competitive slow-pitch softball. He played into his 80s, winning six world championships, and was inducted into the USSSA Softball Hall of Fame in 1996 and the National Senior Softball Hall of Fame in 2013.

Aside from sports, Ron also enjoyed creative writing and placed in a national writing competition. Ron was a veteran of the Korean War and received several medals for his honorable service.

Those who know Ron would describe him as kind, caring, humble, giving, fun-loving, and charismatic, with a quick, dry sense of humor. He was a successful leader both in his personal and professional lives.

He is survived by his wife Gay; his brother Harry Brown (Marilyn); his son Mike Brown (Lisa); his daughter Lynda Tuzil (George); his grandchildren: Patrick (Laura), Christopher (Alexa), Nicholas, Link, Brooke, Trey, and Alexa; and his three great-grandchildren: Ella, Francis, and Leopold; his three step-children: Jill Waskom (Larry), Mark Scholle (Karen), Kyle Williams (Dan), which includes six grandchildren (Chloe, Jordan, Caleb, Micah, Aidan, and Samantha) and six great-grandchildren.

A committal service for Ronald was held on Saturday, Nov. 6, from 11 a.m. to noon at Valley of the Sun Mortuary & Cemetery, 10940 E. Chandler Heights Road, Chandler, AZ 85248, followed by a Celebration of Life reception from noon to 2 p.m. Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at for the Brown family.

Joanne Craig

Joanne Craig

Joanne Craig, a longtime resident of Sun Lakes, passed peacefully from this life on Oct. 28, 2021. Joanne, a native of Columbus, Ohio, was a graduate of Ohio State University, holding a B.S. in business administration and an M.A. in education. She was a beloved teacher in Columbus and a counselor in San Francisco, Calif., before moving to Sun Lakes in 2004.

Joanne was a 60+ year member of her sorority Delta Sigma Theta and a member of the African American Association of Sun Lakes. She leaves behind true friends Denise and Troy Vickers, Ann and Alfred Livingston, Mary Ann and Arthur Tutwiler, Pat and Vel Amica, Rosetta and David Sheer, Dawn Walker, and special friend Chuck Brown, among many others.

Joanne is survived by her loving children Carlton (Sarah), Joellyn, and Marilee and her grandchildren Erica, Halle, Bill, and Michael.

Virgil Allen Einck

Virgil Allen Einck

Virgil Allen Einck, 82, of Sun Lakes, Ariz., passed away peacefully with his family by his side on Oct. 3, 2021.

He passed at Chandler Dignity Hospital after a brief illness due to complications from contracting the West Nile Virus.

“Virg,” as he preferred, was born in Adrian, Minn., to Frank and Christine Einck. He grew up on the family farm in Wilmont, Minn. At 19, Virg met Ruth Ann Kass at a wedding dance in Fulda, Minn., and they married in 1961. Virg was always very patriotic and served proudly in the U.S. Army National Guard. They completed their family with two boys, Todd and Barry, and moved to Oconomowoc, Wisc., where the family lived for many years. Virg and Ruth purchased their retirement home in Sun Lakes in 2000 and began “snow-birding” between Wisconsin and Arizona.

Virg’s passions include his vintage Chris Craft wooden boats, riding his John Deere tractor, woodworking, golfing, and enjoying his family and friends who meant the world to him.

As a successful businessman, he formed several companies, including Septronics, Inc.—today an industry leader that remains a testimony to his innovative legacy.

Virg is survived by his wife of 60 years, Ruth Einck, his sons Todd (Shawna) and Barry (Laurie) Einck, his two grandsons Tyler and Clayton Einck, granddaughter Marissa Einck, two bonus granddaughters Ashley Gutierrez (David) and Lindsay Loutzenhiser (Jon), and five bonus great-grandsons. He is also survived by his sister Linda (Roger) Huisman and brother David Einck. He was preceded in passing by his parents and his sister Vonnie.

A funeral Mass was held at St. Steven’s Roman Catholic Church, 24827 S. Dobson Road, Sun Lakes, AZ 85248, on Monday, Nov. 8, at 10 a.m.

Donations may be made to St. Jude Cancer Research for Children in his honor.

Harry Bernard Folkvord

Harry Bernard Folkvord

Harry Bernard Folkvord was born Feb. 9, 1934, in Beach, N.D. He was raised on a ranch in Eastern Montana run by his father Peder Folkvord (an immigrant from Norway) and mother Anna, a child of Norwegian immigrants. Along with his sister Bette and brothers Kenny and George, they rode horses and worked on the ranch. As a young man, he played guitar, fiddle, or mandolin for dances with his dad and uncles. After his family moved to Sidney, he graduated from high school, married his first wife Elaine Dotson, and his eldest daughter Paula was born.

After failing college, he was drafted, and while in line for a physical, a recruiter came along looking for volunteers to join the Air Force. He jumped at the chance and worked in communications. After brother Kenny was killed, his overseas assignment was diverted from Korea, and he spent a year in Greenland. Later he transferred to Wadena where he met his second wife at the Wadena Country Club when, after a day of riding at the rodeo, his friends dared him to ask her to dance. He married Helen Umland on Feb. 16, 1957, at Bartlett Lutheran Church and honeymooned in Duluth in the middle of winter! They moved first to Miles City, Mont., where he began work for Mountain Bell and where twins David and Duane were born. A few months later, they moved to Livingston, and shortly after being laid off from the phone company, they located to Minneapolis, Minn., for a year, where he attended trade school and daughter Joy was born. A year later, he was re-employed by Mountain Bell and moved to Great Falls, Mont., where son Daniel was born. A few years later, he transferred to Helena, and his youngest daughter Julie was born. While in Helena, he volunteered at church, including as chair of the building committee, and sang in the church choir and the Mountain Bell Singers, a community choir.

After a final transfer to Denver, Harry worked in downtown Denver for Ma Bell/US West, once commenting for a local newspaper article on bus commuters how far from his childhood of riding horses on the eastern prairies of Montana he had come. He continued volunteering at church, singing in the choir, and joined Kiwanis where he spent a year as the district lieutenant governor. He retired early and spent a couple of years working on his passion, old car restoration, including his beloved 1942 Lincoln Zephyr, which he obtained by horse trading with the neighbor for a temporary easement. After another stint doing more telephone engineering, Harry and Helen moved to Sun Lakes, Ariz., enjoying sunshine, golf, and meeting many new friends. Summers were spent traveling between Colorado, Minnesota, and Montana visiting friends, family, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. When travel became difficult, he hung out at home in Arizona, finishing his Lincoln, singing in the church choir, and playing mandolin with a local group until his Parkinson’s made those activities difficult. After the passing of Helen, his wife of 62 years, he moved to Montana and Parkhaven Assisted Living where he could be near his son Duane and other family.

Harry lived life well, enjoying the outdoors hunting and fishing with friends, keeping his cars (and his kids’ cars) running, building a couple of houses, and singing and playing whenever he could. Harry passed away on Oct. 31, 2021, leaving behind six children: Paula Wilting; David, Duane, Danny, and Joy Folkvord; and Julie Jordan; and six grandchildren: Brent, Kyle, and Eric Wilting; Angela Klingelhutz; and Ashley and Andrew Jordan. He left this earth finally at peace and going home to his Lord and rests in the blessed hands of God.

Condolences and memories may be shared with the family at

Deanna Marie Richardson Frost

Deanna Marie Richardson Frost

Deanna Marie Richardson Frost passed away quietly on Nov. 1, 2021, after a brief illness. She was the daughter of Joseph Marvin Richardson and Evelyn Mae Ulrich Richardson of Perrysburg, Ohio. She is survived by her husband of 52 years, Stuart Jobes Frost; daughters Rachel Lynn Hitt (Michael), Grand Rapids, Ohio, and Denise Margo Frost (Gina), Mesa, Ariz.; brother Douglas Marvin Richardson (Micki) of Perrysburg, Ohio; and grandchildren Jessica Reyes, Stephanie Reyes-Frost, and Tyler Hitt.

Deanna graduated from Perrysburg High School in 1965 and attended Ohio University, where she met her future husband. She and her husband lived in Southern New Jersey, Greenbelt, Md., Rochester, N.Y., Voohrees, N.J., and Garland, Texas before arriving in Phoenix in 1980.

She became interested in Middle Eastern dance while living in Dallas. She traveled all over the country as she participated in dance seminars.

After moving to Phoenix, she founded the Aleonna Middle Eastern Dance Studio. She regularly visited close friends in Egypt, and later returned to Egypt to buy Rachel’s wedding dress.

While she was working as a guide in the Arizona State Capitol Museum, she helped polish the USS Arizona silverware and decorate the giant Christmas Tree in the Rotunda.

As an Arizona Tour Guide, she enjoyed conducting tours all over the state.

When the Phoenix Art Museum asked people to guide school groups through the Splendors of Ancient Egypt exhibit, she quickly volunteered. She continued to volunteer for the Impressionists, Norman Rockwell, and Rembrandt exhibits.

She loved joining her husband when he was working in Spain and England.

In 1991, she and her husband became ex-pats in Saudi Arabia where she mastered verbal and written Arabic. Their children joined them for Christmases in Cairo and in Singapore.

She was a past President of the Shadow Mountain Villas HOA.

She and her husband moved to Sun Lakes in 2011, where they loved to Ballroom dance together and travel all over the state.

She loved doting on her children and grandchildren.

Her quiet sense of humor will be missed.

William “Bill” Neal Griffin

William “Bill” Neal Griffin

With a toothpick between his teeth and a knowing grin, William “Bill” Neal Griffin entered the gates of Heaven on Sept. 29, 2021. While it was unexpected and his family is heartbroken, it was exactly the way he would have wanted to leave this earth. Quick, painless, and after a beautiful day spent fishing on the lake.

Born Dec. 3, 1950, to parents Neal and Gertrude Griffin, Bill grew up in Deckerville, Mich., as the youngest of seven children in a blended family. He is survived by his sister Judy Rogers of Maryland. He is preceded in death by brothers Dick Theobald, Tom Griffin, and Jim Griffin and sisters Jean Allen and Joyce Kujawski.

Athletic, popular, and handsome (with an emphasis on handsome), Bill was a pretty big deal on the Deckerville High School campus. As a senior in the Class of ‘69, he was student body president, Christopher Robin in the school play, and boyfriend to the lovely Linda Thompson. You likely know her as Linda Griffin, Bill’s devoted wife of 48 years. Bill built their first house near the lakeshore from the ground up, and she was a beauty! Their house became a home with the addition of four children: Geneal (Michael) Fendrick, Elisha (Jeff) Wirth, Neal (Jamie) Griffin, and Jessica (Tyler) Hobbs.

In 1983 Bill and Linda packed up the kids and left Michigan to head west for warmer weather and better job opportunities. With his sunburned-to-a-crisp arm casually resting in the open window of a black, unairconditioned van, Bill arrived in Chandler, Ariz., on a scorching June day with his family and a plan for a fresh start. His family thrived (and continues to thrive) in Arizona. As families go, Bill and Linda raised a close-knit clan filled with fierce love, big personalities, and loud mouths. Bill was the soft-spoken one in the bunch, often forced to adjust his hearing aid and squeeze a word or two in when possible. When he did manage a word, you’d better be paying attention—his sense of humor was one-of-a-kind, hilarious, quick, and smart without even trying.

Bill got an early start in the construction trade going to jobs with his dad at the age of eight. He was known as “Billy” back then; however, he was lovingly known as “Mr. Bill” as a grown-up carpenter. It was understood that as long as it didn’t involve plumbing, Bill was gifted in all things construction. He worked tirelessly, setting a remarkable example for work ethic and commitment to a task. He officially retired in 2016, but in the spirit of a true craftsman, he continued measuring, building, and guiding until God decided it was time for him to rest.

If nothing thus far has left an impression, then maybe this will do it. Bill could spot deer in a thick of trees, 200 yards away, while driving 75 miles per hour … with a car full of kids arguing about the radio station. Bill was a hunter—pheasant, deer, elk, bison—you name it, he hunted it. He even had his own catch phrase: “See a deer, drink a beer!” In fact, for Bill, most occasions were a perfect accompaniment to a beer or two! Golfing, back-patio-sitting, card playing, and documentary watching all went great with a cold Coors Light.

You could say that Bill took his role as grandpa/papa seriously, but that would not be entirely accurate. He was a silly and playful grandpa who loved his seven grandchildren. For the littles, he enjoyed pushing them on the swings, pulling them in the wagon, or blowing their minds with his toothpick tricks. He often teased the kids with games in the “pull-my-finger” genre or sent them home to discover that he had put walnuts in their pockets or oranges in the hoods of their coats. Grandpa Bill’s antics are a big part of his legacy for the youngest generation to hold dear in the days and years to come.

No matter who Bill was to you—husband, dad, grandpa, brother, uncle, friend—may you also find comfort in holding dear to what Bill’s legacy means to you.

The Griffin family would like to thank all who have reached out in love and support during this difficult time. Funeral services were held at Risen Savior Lutheran Church on Saturday, Oct. 9, at 11 a.m. In lieu of flowers, we invite you to make a donation in Bill’s memory to Risen Savior Lutheran Church at, Will2Walk at, or Everyday Heroes & Hounds at

Gary Hammond

Gary Hammond

Gary Hammond, 86, of Sun Lakes passed away Oct. 9 at Chandler Hospital. He was born in Los Angeles, Calif., on Feb. 14, 1935, and graduated from Santa Monica High School, where he met his wife Ann and married 66 years ago.

He owned a sheet metal business for many years, and then became a stained-glass artist for 35 years. He has commissioned work in many states and loved this art, along with golf and bowling.

He is survived by his wife, daughters Laurie Mushkot and Susan Garrick, five grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren. His son Roger passed away 10 years ago.

As his birth date suggests, he was a true sweetheart his whole life.

Cheri Lea Johnson

Cheri Lea Johnson

Cheri Lea Johnson, an Oakwood resident for 20 years, passed away on Sunday, Oct. 10, 2021, in Chandler, Ariz. Cheri was born Sept. 23, 1946, in Davenport, Iowa, to Velvia and Robert “Digger” O’Dell. Cheri was raised in Southern California and married her high school sweetheart Richard Johnson. They raised two children, Christi Lea and Todd Ross, and moved to Arizona in 1984.

Cheri worked at Marcos de Niza, Tempe, and Desert Vista High Schools, and she retired from Tempe Union High School District. She enjoyed dates at the theatre, going to the movies, and taking care of her cats and tortoises. She loved to entertain family and friends at cocktail hour and would stay up late reading. Cheri was loved for her sassy attitude and generous heart.

Cheri lived for her family. She is survived by Rich, her husband of 57 years; her daughter Christi and son-in-law Robert; her son Todd and her daughter-in-law Dawn; her grandchildren Jake, Cheyne, Payson, Lauren, and Omar; and niece Cindi and her husband George. She will be loved forever and ever.

Marvin Glenn Pratt

Marvin Glenn Pratt

Marvin Glenn Pratt was born in Story City, Iowa, on July 28, 1938, to Glenn and Dorothy Pratt. He went to sleep in Jesus on Oct. 26, 2021, after a brief illness. He was the eldest of three children. His siblings were Larry Pratt and Charlene (Pratt) Greene. He started school in Delphos, Iowa, where his father was farming. The family then moved to Mt. Ayr, Iowa, where Marvin continued his education and graduated in 1956 from Mt. Ayr High School. In high school, he excelled in many sports including football, basketball, and baseball. From high school, he continued his education at Northwest Missouri State in Maryville, Mo., where he majored in secondary education. He honorably served in the Iowa National Guard for 10 years. After attending two years at Maryville, he worked a summer job at Dial Finance. At the end of the summer, Dial offered him a full-time job as an entry level finance manager. That was the start of a 34-year-long career with the same company. What started as a summer job led him on a path to becoming a top-level executive of Wells Fargo Financial. His professional journey led him from Iowa to New Jersey to Colorado and finally California. He retired in 1993 at the age of 55 and lived out his retirement in Sun Lakes, Ariz.

Marvin met Marlene “Kay” Jarvis in 1959. They fell in love and were married in July 1961. This past July, Marvin and Kay celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. Terry Pratt, their first child, was born in May 1965. Tracy (Pratt) Weatherill followed in July 1967. Finally, their third child, Tiffany (Pratt) Rooney, was born in May 1973.

Marvin spent his 27 years of retirement focusing on his passions of family, golf, and RVing. Family was always his priority. He cherished his family time, including cruising, family vacations, boat trips, beach time, and a “must have” trip to Iowa every summer. He loved the Iowa State Fair and never wanted to miss it. He was committed to watching his grandchildren’s games and events, even if it meant a five-hour trip to do so. Up until three years ago, you could find Marvin on the golf course most every day of the week. He loved watching football and was an avid Philadelphia Eagles fan.

He is preceded in death by his parents Glenn and Dorothy Pratt, his brother Larry Pratt, sister Charlene (Pratt) Greene, brother-in-law Tom Greene, and nephews Randy Pratt and Robbie Pratt.

He is survived by his wife Marlene “Kay” Pratt, his son Terry Pratt (Sheryle), daughters Tracy Weatherill (Trey) and Tiffany Rooney (Paul), grandchildren: Brittany Weatherill, Tyler Pratt (Brynna), Bradley Weatherill, Torrie Laine (Austin), Tatum Rooney, Taylor Rooney, and Trista Rooney, sister-in-law Karen “Kay” Pratt, and a host of aunts and uncles, nieces, nephews, and cousins.

Richard John Rebillard “Reb”

Richard John Rebillard “Reb”

Reb, 86, passed away on Monday, Oct. 11, 2021, in Sun Lakes, Ariz., after a short illness.

He was born in Torrington, Conn., on Dec. 22, 1934. His parents were William and Charlotte Rebillard. He had an older brother, William, and all preceded him in death.

Reb attended school in Torrington and Litchfield, Conn. After graduating, he attended Dean Academy in Franklin, Mass. He excelled in baseball. He was scouted by the Brooklyn Dodgers and went to Vero Beach for tryouts, but he was cut. He was also drafted by the Milwaukee Braves, but he also received a sports scholarship to Ohio Wesleyan, which he chose.

He attended OWU from 1955 to 1958. He played baseball for four years and lettered every year. He broke many records and received the honor of being inducted in OWU Sports Hall of Fame.

He was drafted into the Army upon graduation. He served at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Baltimore, Md., where he was drill master of his division.

After his service, he went to work for The Stanley Works in the industrial division in Evanston, Ill. He and Ann were married and had two sons, Phil and Paul. He became regional manager and was transferred to Palatine, Ill., in 1967. He was divorced in 1971.

He married JoAnn on Dec. 29, 1973, and they lived in Palatine for the next 24 years. Reb was active in coaching boys baseball and playing softball and busy with landscaping a new pool area. He was introduced to golf but didn’t have time to pursue it.

They moved to Sun Lakes, Ariz., in 1997. His first year was busy with a new house and, again, landscaping became his priority. He joined the IronOaks Patrol in 1998 to 2021. He loved his job. He also took up golf and became a respectable golfer. He enjoyed playing in the league and just with friends. His yard also took up much of his time.

Reb is survived by his loving wife of 48 years, JoAnn, sons Phil Rebillard (Florida) and Paul Rebillard (Geneva, Switzerland), stepsons Mike Mojonnier (Illinois) and Scott Mojonnier (California), and daughter-in-law Patti (California).

He is also survived by four loving granddaughters: Julie Rebillard, 21, and Audrey Rebillard, 17 (Geneva, Switzerland), Sophie Mojonnier, 23 (Boston, Mass.), and Danica Mojonnier, 16 (California).

A Celebration of Life was held on Nov. 20 at Oakwood clubhouse. He will live on in our hearts forever.

Any donations can be made to a veterans organization of your choice.

Rosemary Shutts

Rosemary Shutts

Rosemary Shutts was born Dec. 19, 1926, in Newton, Iowa, to parents Marie and Harry Tipton. She had one brother, Tom, who is deceased. She is survived by several nieces, nephews, and special friends Les and Maggie Klingberg.

Rosemary married Ken Shutts, “the love of her life,” on Sept. 19, 1946. Ken died on Sept. 4, 2018, just 15 days before their 72nd wedding anniversary.

Rosemary loved playing bridge, golf, and hand & foot. She enjoyed entertaining and loved to cook.

She was hired as secretary to four bank officers and later was made a bank officer. She loved to travel and went on numerous cruises.

Through the years, she sang at many weddings and funerals, and after moving to Arizona, she sang solo at 4 p.m. Mass at Holy Cross Catholic Church in Mesa for 15 years.

Roger L. Sullivan

Roger L. Sullivan

Roger L. Sullivan was born in Boston on April 11, 1936. He passed away in the early hours of Wednesday, Nov. 3. He had been in hospice care since August of 2020. Roger and his second wife Densleigh (Dennie) married in 1990 and eventually moved to Sun Lakes and built their home in 2000.

Roger was an avid golfer (it’s hard finding golf balls in the New England snow!), a total MacIntosh computer “geek,” and a talented man with a paint brush. He started with oils many years ago and then changed to watercolors. He helped form the Oakwood Art League.

He and Dennie traveled all over the world when Roger retired at 55 from GTE Sylvania where he had worked, starting as a co-op student at Northeastern college. His engineering management job took him around the globe managing the installation of huge satellite stations for strategic military communication. When he and Dennie married, he then took her around the world to “check up” on those satellites.

Roger was much loved for his humility, kindness, and friendship. He leaves a daughter, Kate; a son, Chris; two granddaughters; two step-sons, Peter and Eric (Alicia) and their families; as well as several nieces, all in the Boston area. His two brothers, Richard and Paul, preceded him in death; his sister Lee (Maurice) resides in Florida.

There is no planned ceremony at this time. His ashes will go back to Massachusetts to be scattered near his favorite golf course.

Donald H. Zimmer

Donald H. Zimmer

Donald H. Zimmer, 86, peacefully crossed to heaven in the arms of his wife and surrounded by family on Oct. 19, 2021, at home in Sun Lakes, Ariz., after a valiant fight with prostate cancer. Born and raised in St. Louis, Mo., Don was the only child of Herbert and Grace Zimmer. He and his beloved wife Rose (née Bauer) recently celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary.

Don and Rose were blessed with six children: Beth Carter (Stan), Kathy Halaney (John, deceased), Karl Zimmer (Sarah), Eric Zimmer (Debra), John Zimmer (Jennifer), and Alice Tharenos (Tony).

Don served in the U.S. Army Reserves from 1957 to 1963, rising to Staff Sergeant in the 109th ARCOM Ordinance Unit. In his 42-year career at Sverdrup Engineering, Don advanced from draftsman, designer, engineer, project manager, and office manager, to retire as Vice President of Facilities Engineering in 1997. Don was active in the Master Brewers Association for 23 years and assisted in the design and construction of multibillion dollar breweries. He also volunteered for decades on HOA boards in Chesterfield, Mo., and Sun Lakes, Ariz., and participated in the weekly Sun Lakes fruit-pickers charity group.

Don enjoyed family vacations, fishing, golfing, camping, and target shooting. He cherished spending time with his grandchildren, driving countless miles together in his golf cart. Don and Rose liked to travel, especially to Master Brewer Association’s conventions, train trips, northern trout fishing expeditions, and cruising both on oceans and multiple rivers. He relished socializing with friends and family, sharing good food, his barbeque secrets, and his variety of home-brewed beers. Don possessed a keen mind, an intellectual curiosity, and an iron-clad memory. He was willing to share his wealth of knowledge, whether it be of the out-of-doors, his baseball Cardinals, or to help a neighbor with a repair.

Don is survived by 11 grandchildren and was preceded in death by his grandson Christopher Carter.

A Funeral Mass was held at St. Steven’s Catholic Church, Sun Lakes, Ariz., on Thursday, Nov. 18, at 10 a.m. A Celebration lunch followed at Oakwood Country Club, Sun Lakes, Ariz. A Committal Service at Valley of the Sun Cemetery was on Friday, Nov. 26, at 10 a.m.