Did you know we are now Dolly Dressers and so much more? We are a special interest group of Sew-N-Sews. Come check us out! We meet on the first Thursday of each month at 1:00 p.m. in the Sewing Room at the Oakwood Arts and Crafts Center.
* We rescue dolls, clean them up and sew new clothes. The refurbished dolls are packaged in a bag, with a pretty bow, and delivered to Child Help in Phoenix and Helen’s Hope Chest in Mesa.
* Out of fleece and flannel, we make baby blankets, bibs and burp cloths that are packaged for new mothers, along with reading material provided by doctors’ offices. These are distributed to the Clothes Cabin in Chandler.
* We make Matchbox car carriers and fill them with cars.
* Children’s books are paired with a stuffed animal or toy and provided to six Title 1 schools in Chandler. Our inventory of books is quite low, so we are looking for more books.
* Easter bags are filled with candies and goodies.
We are always looking for: flannel and fleece, ribbon for bags, new or gently-used dolls (We can fix some hair and pen marks. We like baby dolls, Barbie dolls and 18-inch dolls – no porcelain dolls, please), Matchbox-type cars, new and gently pre-loved stuffed animals, new and previously-read children’s books in good condition, journals for teens with fun pens, baby doll bottles, toys and rattles (We like to package the dolls with a bottle or toy and a blanket).
At January’s meeting, we packaged car carriers with two cars and stuffed dogs. They will go to Child Help.
At February’s meeting, we will be making capes for the children at Child Help. These are given to the children during their super hero event. Kids decorate the capes with paint, glitter, etc. It has been a real hit in the past.
Come join the fun!