Joyful Downsizing: Why Seek Professional Help with Decluttering and Organizing?

Kim Kubsch

“Why Seek Professional Help for Decluttering and Organizing” is 20th in a series of articles featuring techniques for decluttering your home. Without a plan or system, organizing can be extremely frustrating. Before getting fatigued thinking about your plan, consider why it is helpful to call a professional, at least to get your momentum going, along with learning very helpful tips.

* Direction and Guidance: There is an action plan—what to do and how to do it.

* Expert Advice: Create good systems that shorten the road to decluttering.

* Accountability: When someone else knows your goals, we’re more likely to meet them! Kim will ask you to judge your clutter. Does it work? Do I really need it? Do I enjoy it? Am I using it now? Will I use it in the next year? Your mind determines the value of everything you own. Having a professional’s opinion of value is very helpful, especially while downsizing.

* Fun: Getting organized doesn’t have to be boring or overwhelming, I promise. When you see your “before and after” photos of the area(s) tackled, you will feel a real sense of accomplishment!

Chandler resident Molly said, “We had Kim help us clean out and organize our garage and were very pleased with her professionalism and warm personality. Well worth it.”

Statistics show that we use and enjoy 20 percent of what we own. The other 80 percent is made up of items we don’t use, feel we should use, or think we might use someday. If that item doesn’t fall into the 20 percent of the items you own that you use on a regular basis, love, and enjoy, consider it suspect.

Move it out—sell it, give it away, or throw it out. One of the solutions for “good stuff” is to give it to someone who wants or needs it.

The more seriously you take this matter of de-junking, the greater the positive effect it will have on your life. Important stuff will be easier to find when you don’t have to sort through piles of unnecessary clutter.

You can have it all; you just can’t have it all at once. Invest once with an expert, create systems, and keep it simple. It will be worth the time and money!

Karen shared, “As an out-of-state executor of my parents’ Sun Lakes estate, we were so fortunate to have found Kim. From our first contact, we knew we found an amazing professional who was so instrumental in de-cluttering our parents’ home. Kim assisted me daily with the endless decisions of what to keep, what to sell, and, furthermore, what to donate. Kim went above and beyond with many, many small details, such as assisting with finding appraisals for coins and artwork and finding buyers for vehicles and a golf cart! She not only knows everyone but, more importantly, the right ‘everyone’s.’”

Why spend the time and money with Kim of Joyful Downsizing? Benjamin Franklin states, “For every minute spent in organizing, an hour is earned.”

Future articles will feature digital photo storage, drawer organization, and moving preparation. Stay tuned.

Call me at 480-720-8566 to learn about my free 30-minute consultation, or reach me by email at [email protected].