June is a time to celebrate dads. Not much has been written about what a man wants for their bathroom remodel—I looked! It is his space, too, and there are personal wants for his daily experience he may not have mentioned. Another area men tend to make do is in outdoor cooking at a stand-alone grill. Why not reward him for volunteering with an outdoor kitchen to facilitate and elevate that experience, too? We shall explore ideas for both.
What do men want in their master bathroom?
* A spacious shower. If a tub limits the space, he would rather delete it to make the room seem large and uncluttered. Some may want a steam shower or to include a rain head.
* A skylight for lots of light and privacy, as well as fresh air. It is a way to connect with being in nature.
* His own separate sink station. A vanity with two sinks and shared counters is not the ideal. It does not clearly define what is his space, and he may be more neat or messy than his wife. Having his own separate sink, medicine cabinet, cabinetry, and drawers so he can be as he wants may keep things more peaceful and relaxed.
* Having a semi-private space for the toilet that offers ease of use, like a pony wall separation, so one can just walk in and not have to hassle with a door.
* A solar tube with a solar nightlight for more natural light during the day that gives a glow at night to facilitate nocturnal visits.
* Radiant heated floors. It is much better, both during the night or first thing in the morning, to walk on warm floors rather than cold ones!
* A television.
What do men (and women!) want for an outdoor kitchen?
* A ramada to set up his own outdoor kitchen, separate from the house.
* A plumbed sink for easy prep and clean-up.
* Besides the grill, perhaps specialty cooking appliances (burners, pizza oven, griddle …) along with a warming drawer.
* A refrigerator, a built-in cold storage bin for beverages, and electrical outlets for portable appliances (ice maker, blender …).
* Storage, including trash and recycling bins, drawers for cooking utensils and platters.
* Ample lighting, including lights on a string, and a ceiling fan.
* Bar-top seating and plenty of counter space.
* A fire pit.
* Music speakers and a television.
Happy home remodeling for dads!
Janet Cook, certified aging in place specialist and president of Cook Remodeling (celebrating their 42nd year), invites you to check out their website at www.cookremodeling.com for more ideas and photos.